Thursday, April 12, 2012

Random Ramblings

Its been quite some time, I know. Well, things have been quite hectic and since this is the New Year week, I've been a little bit released form the ordinary flow of work. Well, I've still got some paper articles that I've got to hand in and then there is all the Avrudu stuff going on which hinders me from getting any sort of work done. Its all hustle, bustle and rustle of the preparations over here :)

Oh and another thing, Lady Grouchalot has been offered her very own column on The Island!! Yes, yes, I've been dancing about it for quite sometime, but then nothing's been finalized yet, so we will wait and see what happens. Will definitely post here when it goes on for sure.

Btw, decided to go ahead and unleash a collection of poetry and this time, I am DEFINITELY going ahead with it. Poetry has always been a part of my life. I write when I'm sad, I write when I'm happy, I write when I'm in pain...yeah, mostly when I'm in pain I write. Poetry is indeed a great device to dissolve all that hurt and the stinging that you feel every once in a while. Poetry has always been my escape and solace so my words have always been honest, gritty and quite dark in poetry. But that is exactly what I am. I do not write rainbow fables (ok, so there's this one poem called "Somewhere over the rainbow" written for the Darling of which I'm quite fond of really, but that is about it), my little pony pink goo that people can nicely sit at their coffee tables, flip the pages with their manicured nails and read while sipping their mochachinos. But this time, I am putting myself out. I am revealing myself, spilling out my insides, full frontal and unadulterated, in all its rawness, bloody and unwashed like a new born babe just out of the womb with the umbilical cord still uncut. No more hesitation. This is my poetry. This is myself when I fall to pieces, this is my own flesh and blood, sweat and tears splattered across the pages in words. Take it or leave it and I wouldn't give a rat's tiny behind if you call it poetry or mere ramblings of a delirious mind.

Been writing a novel, but the progress is slow as my "work" usually swallows up most of my time. Writing for a living has this way of draining all your energy that you have no time nor the desire left to do any creative work at all. But times shall pass and I shall make some time. I'm quite fond of this story that I am writing really. It has been inspired by some of my childhood memories of visiting my mother's ancestral home. The background is that but the characters are pretty much fictitious. Writing the novel is fun really, it gives you this God-like feeling. You are the master of the puppets (I mean the characters) and you pull the strings. But after some time, you get so attached to these characters that it gets creepy sometimes. Either way, this novel has its way of sucking me in to and I usually do not feel time go by and as a result sometimes, I abandon my work. Which I literally cannot afford right now because I am planning to publish the book with what I've earned so far without any help from my darling parents who would only be too willing to take it upon themselves. But no. They have fed me, given me a good education, they have made me in to what I am today. As a 24 year old, I need to be able to stand up on my own feet and fend for myself. I want to make them proud. And I know that I will.

Missing music badly. There's been some pretty bland gigs that have been organized to which we have participated out of sheer lack of good live, head spinning music and the hunger remains unsatisfied. Which excludes the No More Marx concert held on the 31st March of course which was quite something to rant about. It was the first time I saw the dude perform live and I quite liked it. Even wrote an article on it which is to be published in the Grouchalot column in the paper. It was, indeed, an article worthy concert.

Tsunami scare yesterday and watching all those people clamber about for their dear lives really made me think. It must have been like deja vu for the down south people all over again, having to grab what they can and run for their lives. Just can't imagine what it must have been for the survivors of 2004. It was like a nightmare repeating itself. Daddy Dearest was already at home (thank God) and once we managed to bug The Darling to come early from work and crash at our place for a while, it felt cosy and somewhat protected to be surrounded by all the people that I loved and cared for, but imagine how it would have been for the families whose parents, children or spouses have not yet returned home. To top it off, buses have stopped travelling, leaving those of who do not own the luxury of a car stranded in the middle of nowhere. Just hope to God that no such tragedy shall occur again like that of 2004. More people killed in just 10 minutes than the entire number of lives lost during 30 years of civil war. Turns out that Tsunami is indeed the bigger b****

Somewhat nodding off. Its been an eventful day what with all the preparing of sweets and what not. I just adore the hustle and bustle of the season, the variety of smells wafting through the house, merry noises, laughter, its all very lively. For me, this is what Avrudu is all about. Family. Love. And happiness. And tomorrow, more oil-oozing goodness of the season and more happy cheer :)

3 comments:

Dee said...

Nice! Congrats on the column, best of luck on the books!! :D and happy avurudu! xo

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Thank you Dee! Wish you all the joys and ramblings of the season as well! Go easy on the oil cakes ;)

Closed said...

can't wait for the novel. hope it comes out soon and you post about it here.
Good luck with all your stuff \m/