Sunday, January 3, 2016

2015 in a nutshell

2015 has been life changing. Quite literally.

Being a Scorpio, my life has always been one of fate. And fate has been at its very peak this year. Fateful encounters albeit troublesome leading to the enrichment and the closer bonding of other fateful relationships (although they came a little too late), a greater clarity in matters, revelations, enlightenment, it's been a roller coaster of emotions, blows of reality and moments of sheer ethereal quality. I have also (finally) gotten in touch of my inner witch - the healing, creating part of me that has always been overshadowed by other things - this period of life has been a turning point, again, quite literally.

Peckishme is doing really well! I've had to take some time off it due to personal reasons, but the response I am receiving is rather overwhelming. The Facebook page has boomed too and for a blog that is only about 8 months old, it's doing rather well on the ranking side of things as well. An Innocent sense of self satisfaction. Incomparable joy. This is my baby - my product of sweat, blood and many, MANY sleepless nights. Juggling a full time job, an MBA, personal obligations and my own personal creative writing ain't exactly a cake walk.

Put a like to its facebook page and show some lurrrve! I post two recipes a week and occasional restaurant reviews. Come check it out. I hope you like it :)  

On a related subject, 2015 is also the year that I got in touch with my Green thumb. I started off with four plants - rosemary, thyme, basil and lavender just a few months back and today I am the proud cultivator of almost every herb I ever need to indulge my need for flavour, flavour, flavour! Rosemary (two varieties), lavender (hasn't flowered yet, but soon), thyme (two types), oregano, basil (3 varieties), marjoram, parsley (two types), mint (all types), Kaffir lime, you name it. I don't need to purchase the herbs I need now from the supermarket - I am self-sufficient! And the feeling it gives you - priceless. Now I have moved on from herbs (because they can now take care of themselves) to salad items (rocket, lettuce - 2 varieties, spinach, cherry tomatoes - I already have little unripe tomatoes on it!) and just today I planted seeds for beetroot, Chinese cabbage, dill and radish. I also have a packet of winged beans but mother says they need to be planted on the ground. We will find a suitable spot and then plant them. Oh this is all very exciting!

Mother says I've always had the green thumb. Even when I was a child, I remember my mother getting me to plant the hard-to grow plants with my hands because she believed that I had "the touch". Mother herself being a bit on the witchy side (her amazing cooking skills, her healing touch, her way with plants, her scarily accurate intuition and this creepy ability to tell exactly what's on your mind most of the time), I can only assume that I inherited it from her. But the weirdest part is, I had never been fond of gardening - actually up to this point I loathed it! But right now, the thought of new plants, seeds, the touch of soil and new leaves sprouting just excites me like nothing ever excited me before. It is a lovely feeling, to see the fruits of your labour, to know that these are your creations and using them in your dishes, especially being the health food freak that I am, the feeling you get is indescribable. Now I am convinced that all I want to do is to stay home, grow my own food and cook with them! I suppose this is my inner healer emerging, this desire to create expanding itself, a desire for a greater bond with nature, to rejoice in things blooming and blossoming. It's a remarkable change - especially considering the fact that I considered gardening to be my least favourite thing in the world only a few months back!

And for all this I need to thank my favourite soulmate who is now my fiancĂ©. He influenced me with his interest in growing fruits (also recent interest) and dragged me about with him to plant nurseries till I finally succumbed to the call. They say that soulmates lead you to your life's true calling, whether it be kicking and screaming and I guess this, is exactly what happened here. And I am grateful.

Just arrived from Chennai a week back. Having lived there for more than a year, the visit was every bit as nostalgic as it was delightful. The roads had badly corroded due to the recent floods but other than that, there is absolutely no sign that such floods had taken place at all. Things haven't changed much. But we got a peek into the real Chennai this time, something which I haven't experienced during the time we lived there - which was somewhat heartbreaking.

I recall the time I lived at Chennai to be the happiest time of my life. I was fascinated by the culture, the rawness of it all, I did everything that I wanted to do, ate everything I wanted to and for once in my life, I had no obligations, no responsibilities. But I don't think back then I got a taste of the real Chennai life. Truth be told, I led a pampered and semi-charmed life there at the time - a driver drove me around to pretty much wherever I wanted to go and I had everything I ever needed at my beck and call without having to lift a finger. Yes there were the times I wandered off on my own and saw the things that I did and experienced them briefly as well, but they left only fleeting impressions and were overshadowed by the many privileges I enjoyed. Cushioned by luxury, nothing really struck me as truly tragic back then. Which was a tragedy in itself.

But this time around being Christmas and everyone being out of town, (even our trusty Ramachandran and Babuji who would come running every time we visit and employ people to be everything between chauffeurs, chaperons and translators for us *sulk*), we had to manage pretty much everything by ourselves. Taxis had no air conditioning (or finding one with A/C was practically impossible) so we soon resorted to getting about by tuk, braving the dry, dusty winds in our faces. (And as a die hard tuk tuk patron here in SL, when I say the heat and the dust is bad, I mean unbearable) The class difference is at times too incredible, the plight of the poor - unbelievable. Some worse than animals, defecating where they sleep and cooking and eating on the same spot. The jolt to reality was so sudden and necessary.

Yet it is many times better than Pakistan where it smells of rotting meat, blood and pure hostility everywhere you go. Utter unadulterated sexism where women are insignificant and discriminated against (I was constantly berated at school which was an "international" school for not covering my head even though I am a Buddhist), uncleanliness, racism and a blatant disregard for personal hygiene, unequivocal violence (one of my classmate's father was found chopped to pieces in a garbage pile and my father's colleague, a gentle lady was burnt to death by the husband over a dowry matter, all within the scope of a few months. Sharia "Law" was silent in all these cases), sexual harassment (I was barely 12 years old and still I was groped by various creatures who call themselves 'men' many times) and a "religion" that preaches you must slit the throats of innocent animals and wash the house with that blood in order to appease "Allah" - these are my memories of Pakistan. Suffice to say, these traumatic experiences pretty much made up my mind about the country and the "religion" in question from a very young age itself.

Chennai on the other hand is a city that I love. It has a unique fragrance, a combination of sweetness (think Pure ghee Indian sweets. So yum!), saffron, sandalwood and jasmine flowers adorning the hair of the female folk. In fact, the clothes that I packed for the trip still smell of these amazing smells taking me back there. The sound of vedic mantras being chanted, ringing bells at the time of the pooja - this is to me, the picture of pleasantness. Chennai is mostly a pure vegetarian city - despite the uncleanliness in certain part of it, the whole place seems somewhat cleansed and holy. Yes, this view of the city maybe extremely contrasting with the mental picture that most people have of the place but I for one, knowing the city all too well, know that it is a city with an innocent soul, and an endearing one at that.

The most remarkable thing about the city is its people and the way that they just don't judge. You can eat your dessert with rice, wear your wedding dress to the supermarket or wear a tie with shorts and I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid. They are quirky like that. And it is truly liberating - to be utterly and ridiculously without manners or etiquette, even for a limited amount of time. I think we all need that in our lives.

On other news, 2015 is also the year when I discovered the short stories I've written many years ago and rediscovered my interest in the art. It is also the year when I ditched my almost complete novel and started on a new one, one that I am convinced is my true masterpiece. It is also the year when I made a significance change in my career - the best decision I've ever made in my life I believe (which was a very VERY difficult one too) and as a result, today, I am truly content with what I do. I believe that I have found my forever home :) So all in all, 2015 had been good to me. Apart from the few dramatic episodes which seemed to make no sense at the time but ended up making a whole lot of sense, 2015 also convinced me that everything really does happen for a reason.

And that the reason is always a good one :)

So here's to a better 2016 (which is going to be a mighty eventful one, hint hint!) and one that will make us all realize our true potential - as human beings, as earthly creatures of creativity and of creation. It is a never-ending journey that we are on, and we are constantly discovering ourselves, just when we think we know it all. And 2015 has been a year that proved to me that there are so many things that I am yet to learn - and most of all about myself. It was the year that my ego was shed, and my eyes were opened to new things, things I believe, that will be important in the years to come.

4 comments:

Maddy said...

Nice post and great info on herbs, i thought those cannot be planted at home.
How did u plant thyme? seeds?

And congrats on getting engaged :)

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Thank you :) The myth is that you can't grow them at home, but the reality is that you can!

I bought thyme plants - English thyme and another variety from Diyatha Uyana plant nurseries. The secret is to not water them too much. The soil must be dry and sandy - water them slightly every three days or so and that's all there is to it really :)

Maddy said...

Thanx! I will start planting as soon as possible! Can`t wait!

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Let me know how it goes!