Monday, May 30, 2011

Parents and unpredictable laptops. Sigh.....

Well, my laptop was down for many a days and finally, its up, set and running again. Nope, not gonna bore you with all the la-di-da of how it broke, how it got fixed and the whole shit load (mainly because it is still a mystery to me and is known only to the dude who fixes our computers. Didn't bother to ask either. I just asked him if he could fix it and he said he could. And he did. Shrug....) 

Because of which I was doomed to use the household computer for a while and which also is almost always hogged down by Mother Dearest whose correspondence with her complicated cobweb of diasporic friends from every corner of the world has become an integral part of her life right now. As Skype beats out its annoying, semi-comical hip hop ringing tune, Mother Dearest sails (and I do mean sail) through the air and lands on the computer chair, reminiscent of a cat pouncing on a mouse ( and nearly with the same excited expression ). And that's the last time that any of us gets to go near the PC again for the next half of the day or so.

So yes, I have been wrestling it out with my parents, trying to lodge my claws on to the keyboard of this "registered to Mother Dearest" PC of ours for a descent half an hour straight. Parents! Sigh....They make you wanna run around the house screaming, pulling your hair out, move in to an apartment of your own and wash dishes in a local masala wadei joint to pay the rent, cluttering along to the beat of that oh-so-delightful kottu roti music. Sigh............

In a world of confusion and turmoil, I'm happy that at least The Darling is trying his best to make some kind of progress in the current situation. I know that I shall always be the queen of his heart, regardless of all the nitty-gritties, the topsy-turvies and the petty nuisances that come up every once in a while. I'm greatly humbled not to mention, truly grateful  of this boundless, abysmal love of ours that keeps us loving, nurturing each other no matter what. God has indeed been kind. It truly is a wondrous thing, to be able to look in to his eyes and see nothing, but pure, untainted, uninhibited love streaming forth, all for me, and me only, to lap up and to revel in. We are two of the lucky ones indeed.

Ok, enough of the soppy stuff :D

I happened to notice Mother Dearest's hands today at close range. What used to be so full, slender and plump are now a little bit prune-ish at the tips. I felt sad. She used to have long, beautiful fingers that I so very much admired and wished mine to be just like hers. It struck me for the very first time that we do not even bother taking a minute to even look at them properly anymore. How did they get so old without me even noticing? Looking at her slightly shriveled fingers on the steering wheel, I wanted to cry. It wasn't fair.

I remember as a child how I used to shut myself in the bathroom and bawl my eyes out, thinking of how my parents were going to grow old, get sick and die one day (yes, even as a child I thought wayyyyyyy too much than necessary) I remember praying to God not to make them old, at least make the aging process a bit slower and to let me die with them too because I knew it in my little heart that I wouldn't be able to bear up such a thing all alone. And when I came out of the bathroom all teary eyed, Daddy Dearest would scoop me up in his arms, puzzled as to why I had been crying, take out a chocolate from the treasure trove ( I used to call it "the treasure trove" because Mother Dearest used to lock up all the sweet stuff in that cupboard, not letting us anywhere near it. And yes, she still is such a control freak :D ) and give it to me at which I would start crying again at which he would get alarmed. Yes well luckily, my parents had always thought me to be queer. And I had maintained that prestigious title right to this very day :D      

They both have grey hairs sprouting up ( and I'm very sure that me and my Brother Dearest had been responsible for the greater part of those, being the brats that we are) and always complain of pains and aches, much more so now. Its heartbreaking to know that they have spent their whole life times on us, cooking and cleaning for us, earning, fixing this and that, listening and sorting out our problems (as if they hadn't enough of their own) finding schools, tuition classes, battling it out with the domestic, etc... But do we even bother so much as to look at them properly from time to time? We have grown so selfish, we have our own things to take care of, while all that they had done is waste away their youth, shed their sweat and blood for our materialistic comforts. Shame on us, really. I learnt unconditional love from them. For me, they are the very epitomes of unselfish, unflinching pillars of unconditional love. Everything else is just so ephemeral and uncertain. That's just how the world is.

Daddy Dearest had both his eyes operated for cataract this year and I, at twenty three years old, bawled my eyes out a whole night, over the phone to The Darling who was very much the sweetheart to listen to my frenzied ramblings, the night before the operation. Yes, yes, I know that it wan't that much of a big deal, but me being me, had to think and think and hence, the water work. Guess I'm not so different from the toddler who shut herself and bawled her eyes out in the bathroom, many years ago for her aging parents now huh?

Anyhow, now that the laptop is fixed, I no longer have a reason to procrastinate, sitting on my butt all day. Better get my precious rear end to work now. Have a good day everyone! Me, over and out! :)

1 comment:

Jack Point said...

Age wears down the body, but the person may be enriched by experience. Good post.