Thursday, June 2, 2011

The art of letting go

In case that y'all didn't know, it really is an art. Not everyone can do it and some would only do it if they are dragged, wrenched, pulled away by the legs, kicking, screaming and tearing out their hair in the process. Because of this reluctance, most come out of it ragged, bruised, torn and sometimes even irrecoverable, be it family ties, a relationship that has gone stale, clinging on to one's past a little too tightly, etc. Letting go without a struggle is beneficial for everybody's health as the saying goes.

It requires a great deal of strength, courage and determination, this art of letting go. That is exactly why it is an art. Not everyone can do it, neither are they talented enough to do so.

Giving birth to a child does not give one the right to own his or her life. The moment they pop out of the womb, they are individual human beings. Sure, this little poop bundle that comes out, kicking, screaming and covered with bloody muck requires some guidance, but looking at the mothers and fathers dragging poor innocent toddlers in filthy school uniforms to maybe the third tuition class of the day at 8 o'clock in the night makes you wonder where the boundaries start and where they end. Asian parents are the best of the lot. Not only they drag you through the whole modus operandi of school, tuition classes, finishing schools, etc, they find the person that their offspring shall have sex with for the rest of their lives and make children with. Oh yeah and also when and where to make babies. Control freaks or what!

When will they ever learn to let go? One may say that me, still being myself at twenty three, unmarried and without kids has no clue as to what having a kid means. True that. But yours truly intends on being a very cool parent who lets the kids have ice cream for lunch and let them wear their bathing kits to school. Coz I'm cool like that ;)

And then comes the relationships. Yes, yes, we've all been there. We've all kicked and screamed and absolutely and vehemently refused to let go and hung on to them as if our lives depended on it, but when the time comes and you have absolutely no choice, you have to let them go right? Love is never selfish. It should liberate, it should never cling like a half dried turd on the sole of your shoe, making your whole life and the ones surrounding you stink. If you love, you should also be able to let go. As the saying goes;


If you love somebody, set them free. If they come back, they are yours forever. If they don't, they were never really yours to begin with.

Letting go isn't easy, but when it is absolutely obligatory that you do, you have to do it even if it will kill you inside. Change is inevitable. Acceptance is crucial for survival. And sometimes we have to let go not because we don't love, but because we DO love.

I believe in letting go. And I believe that I'm quite good at it too. I have never cried over a lost phone, a lost piece of jewellery, a broken camera, etc. People, however have been tougher. Things are meant to be broken, people are meant to be loved, although sometimes, one has to let them go, for their own good and yours. It was hard, now that I recall the process, hard, but necessary. Emotions had to be killed, memories had to be strangled,  I practically had to brainwash myself but me being me, once I set my mind on something, I had done it somehow. Bonds and attachments only bring pain and heartache if one hangs on to them too tightly. There is a time and space for everything, for parental bonds, for love, for relationships, for the nostalgia of the past. There is a time. Its crucial that one knows when to let go and when to hang on. And hanging on for all the wrong, selfish reasons is the worst mistake one can ever make.

There are, however, two things in my life that I will not be able to let go however much I try. But if time comes, I shall have to let go of them too, although I shall be kicking, screaming and holding on for dear life, coming out all scratched, bruised, ragged, torn, broken and definitely irreparable in the end. What are these things that I'm so attached to that I guard with my own dear life you ask? Well, what those two things are, you can only guess :)

No comments: