Monday, April 4, 2011

My final World Cup post I assume

Well, India won the World Cup. And if anyone was wondering, I did manage to watch the match and completely at that (thanks to The Darling who decided to drag me off to the giant screen at CH.I had no choice BUT to watch) That is despite the momentary disturbances caused by bobbing heads ,drunken, merry men eager to share their World Cup spirit in turn blocking the giant screen (at whom lethally explicit words were thrown till they sat down, all in true world cup spirit of course), girls in shorts who would perch their heavy/boney rear ends on tables eager to strut their stuff (again blocking the screen) couples who decide to declare to the whole world (or the entire cricket watching community who really couldn't care less by the way) of their never ending love for each other by standing up and hugging each other and still stubbornly kept glued to each other (still standing up and blocking the screen) papare bands, fire works, the occasional pervert or two, well, it was quite a ball indeed.

Lady Grouchalot is mighty proud of our team. They proved themselves as formidable opponents, honorable sportsmen and above all, beautiful human beings. And if you ask me, they lost nothing. They won the hearts of many anew if anything, yes even the reluctant hearts of Cricket-indifferents like myself are today a teeny bit cricket positive because of our wonder team of extraordinary men.

However, it's quite shocking the extent that the Indian media has carried the whole event off to (Ermmm....who declared war guys?) As far as we all knew, it was just cricket, a gentlemen's game played in a gentlemanly way. And all those articles screaming for blood made me wonder if we are playing the same game at all. Wonder if they had a battle-till-death gladiator game in mind where they assault, pluck out each other's eyes, beat each other to a pulp with bats, balls and wickets, clad in gladiator armor, loin cloths and all. Now wouldn't that be fun to watch?

Point here being, there is no point in breeding hatred, seeping with jealousy and being consumed with thoughts of revenge. It's all fun and games people. Sure,India won the World Cup and they SHOULD be happy about it. And it would have been easier for us to be happy for them too if it wasn't for the gloating, taunting minority (?) of Indians and the Indian media hell bent on exhibiting their ignorance and stupidity, by way of personal attacks and petty remarks. I have always upheld India as one of the most esteemed nations in my very short list of esteemed nations of the world. I'm not so sure about it now.

That being said, while the country is still recovering from the Cricket fever of yesterday, I am sitting here, mastering the art of gracefully blowing my nose (and failing miserably at it).The cold that I have been putting off for about a week now has finally had enough of being chastised in to silence with threats of temporary medicaments it seems. And it couldn't have chosen a better time to rebel. First paper of the semester starts tomorrow and well, true to my wonderful procrastinating nature, I had kept all studying and revisions till the last minute (not considering the lack of lectures or ANY sort of guidance regarding the unit) And now with a heavy head that feels like Atlas the giant has been sitting on it with his two pesky, illegitimate kids who's been tugging and pulling at my hair and poking out my eyes, I couldn't seem to get anything in to this cumbersome head of mine. Well, things do seem very bleak at this point. I say let's just hope for the best :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lady Grouchalot,
I <3 your writing. Can you please leave a space after a comma or a period, if you don't mind.
Thanks :-)

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Sure thing :)

Ramindu Deshapriya said...

I think you normally do? Anyway, great post! I was at CR and we were screaming 'Bhenchod, Hindustan' and some drunk guy (hell, we were drunk as well) was so bent on sharing his enthusiasm with us that he slammed the table we had put our food on (fries and chicken), and one of my friends said ''Niyamai, dan koththu kanna thiyenne' :P For me, that was the funniest thing that happened that day. Anyway, despite the depression of losing, it couldn't take much away from the fun of the night. Then there was the lovely event of coming home and finding every Indian who had dissed Sri Lanka on Facebook and abusing them on their walls. ;)

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Ai! CR was pretty crowded as we heard.But it must have been pretty happening in there ;) Yes,yes,drunk people were the best,but fortunately for us,none of them assaulted our food,they were just blocking the screen once in a while.It was fun though,in the unity of the moment,people hardly seemed to notice the spilt coke on their cloths and scattered fries when others bumped in to them,they just smiled and went back for more.As for Indians,I'd rather not sink to their level of gross indecency ;) But it must have been fun!