Friday, April 8, 2011

S I C K :(

Lady Grouchalot has been almost bed ridden for a week. And this is the first time in years that she had been seriously ill. Needless to say, it sucks like hell.

It's been almost two weeks since that fateful visit to the crazy doctor (who gives medicine for everything else BUT the actual illness and who is overtly enthusiastic about the details of my menstrual period and has a ball of a time poking around in my abdominal area) and his outrageous claims as to that I do not eat enough that my dearly beloved people had been on a determined mission to piggify me (the slow and painful process of slowly transforming one in to the size of a pig or even worse, a miniature mammoth) So then I make up my mind to eat more and this happens. Now, instead of eating more like I should, I just end up throwing up at the mere  mention of the name "food"

Yes well, our family doctor (a nice chatty little lady doctor who often forgets that we are not on a friendly house visit every time we see her) claims that I'm a ball of phlegm (which is true) but then there is this sudden aversion that I have developed towards the very mention of food and water which makes the recovering a whole lot harder than it ought to be.Yes well it's true, Lady Grouchalot is surviving on the wonder liquids of Vegemite, Jeevanee and lime juice these days. And trust me, it's not all that fun.

J.R.R Tolkien is doing wonders for me these days. He has been performing miracles every time I used to fall sick ever since I was a child. It's where I go off to hide when the pain (or the nausea) gets too hard and seek refuge amongst the elves, dwarves and hobbits of the middle earth. Call me an escapist but huddling up with the Lord of The Rings and getting lost among their magical, fantastical pages............Sigh just heaven.... Even though I'm not supposed to over tire my eyes, I find it very soothing.

Apart from Tolkien, I have grown a deep liking for chilly paste and hot isso wadei (Prawn wadei - A crunchy, fried paste of dhal and chilly topped with a HUGE scrumptious, juicy fried prawn which by the way, I STILL did not get.Sigh.....Life's not fair :( ) Although I do manage to swallow whole spoonfuls of chilly paste at one go and emerge out of the pantry with flaming cheeks, tears down my cheeks and steam escaping out of my ears, nostrils and eyes every now and then. Funny. I could never handle spicy food before, therefore I never liked them. But now, it seems like chilly is all that I could eat. And I blame the fever for that.

Mother Dearest comes in every 10 minutes or so and checks the temperature and the skin thoroughly for red spots. The dengue scare still hadn't escaped the minds of the nation I suppose. The household is worried. They miss my frenzied cries and dance tornadoes across the house. I shall be dragged off to a blood check tomorrow. Argh!

While the attention is all good, you discover who really does care and who doesn't during times of sickness. Which is great for life even though being sick sucks to the core, you shall see, maybe for the first time, what people shall act like in your moments of helplessness. Being sick even gives you time to think and it's surprising how philosophical one tends to get in times of sickness. Plus it's a great excuse to sleep! Although I'm quite sick of sleeping right now.

Good thing that I don't usually have a problem with pills. Because the number of pills that I have to take right now is actually bigger than my actual meal size.Sigh......You never really value what you get for free I guess. Things like good health when you have it, you just brush it off, take it for granted, you don't even notice it. But trust me, that is all that you really do need in your life.

The Lady needs her rest now, she has been sitting and tapping along way too long. Good night everyone. Shall see you all with another post soon, hopefully, if she is not dead that is. I plan on finishing the semester exams before I do something stupid like dying. Oh no, I've worked way too hard for that!

No comments: