Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Flu blues

Down with that abominable flu. Surviving on a diet of Marmite, pills and woodapple jam since yesterday.

The only tastes that my taste buds will even remotely register is the utmost sweet and the acrid sour. Anything else just goes down as pure, awful bitterness at the base of the throat. Which automatically makes eating a real chore. Therefore the diet of Marmite, woodapple jam and pills, all very necessary evils for my sustenance.

Last night was one of pure chaos. The fever turns the mind upside down it seems and makes me conjure up the most fascinating nightmarish images in my mind. At one point, I honestly believed that I was going mad. At the failure to sleep, I found myself wandering the room on unsteady feet just to keep the strange and harrowing  images out of my head.

Budget 2013 *facepalm* Oh well, at least we'l be whizzing about in sports cars in no time.

The lecture at the American Center went very, very well the other day. I had so much fun. Not only did I speak to an audience here in Colombo, I also had the rare chance to speak to an audience from Jaffna live from Colombo which was a brand new delightful experience for me. Anyways I heard that several people even turned up late which was a pity. The American Center people are pretty punctual. And I like that about them.

I am soon to be faced with the horrors of being a bridesmaid. Under normal circumstances I would have run a mile, fled the country, changed my identity (real Bourne Identity style) but this is an instance that I just cannot escape. Sigh.....so let me be yet another dummy for some random dress maker to drape some flimsy clothing around, for some random beautician to rub in various forms of paints and powders, prop me up next to the bride and smile and preen myself at the photographer's command. Sigh.......I know this is going to be absolute and utter torture. But yet I must do all that for family's sake. Brother Dearest, you owe me BIG TIME!!

The persisting dream-like state of being calleth for me to float on dream-like towards the bed. More updates later. Beat that flu monster!


  

2 comments:

cj said...

Hope you get well soon. One way I beat the flu is use Claritin (Branded Name) or Loritadeen (Generic) it helps immensely. But it is best taken when you sense that you are coming in for the flu. Oh by the way I bought your book haven't read it yet.

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Well I guess I'm long beyond Claritin now. Thing is, the flu always jumps up on me from obscure corners, always taking me by surprise.
You did! Oh please do let me know what you think of it once you've read it! :)