Saturday, November 3, 2012

Happy times, yappy times :)

Judging by the rate that I am going, Mother Dearest is worried that I may empty the whole pantry (yes, even her "in case of apocalypse" stock). And NO, I ain't gobbling up whole polythene bags of flour or entire tins of condensed milk, its just that I am on one of those exhilarating cooking spells, the kind that makes you rush through the kitchen, carrots, beets and whole chickens flying about, flapping their featherless wings in fright.

Yesterday's 24hr raining spell inspired a brilliant warm chocolate pudding, sinfully oozy in the middle once the crunchy top layer of glamorously caramelized chocolate is cracked with a willing spoon. Beats by miles the pitifully dry, minuscule excuses of Lava cakes deceitfully advertised by the Local Pizza Hut. Today, spruced up an ordinary cucumber salad with leftover chickpeas from breakfast, coconut vinegar (no not the posh rice vinegar) and revolutionized an innocent looking mushroom curry with coconut water, a fine mix of greens plucked from the rooftop (yes, we have our very own herb rooftop now) and other condiments that simply horrified Mother Dearest into staring dumbfounded while she kept reminding me repeatedly that I am buying them lunch if I managed to screw things up. But then I almost never do ;) 

Then came the scrumptious apple pie in the afternoon that fragranced the entire house with the spicy promise of succulently exotic melt-in-the-mouth apply bites. Not very hard to make and ttruly a delight once baked and pulled out from the oven. I love that spicy smell wafting about the house. Reminds me so strongly of Christmas, mince pies and various other dishes being stirred up within the house. Now we are devoted Buddhists but I am a very lucky girl to have a mother who believes in celebrating every possible occasion worthy of a celebration. Hell, we even had a Christmas tree! And I used to hang up my school socks on the windowsill (for want of a chimney) hoping that the candy wouldn't smell of my feet all that much once Santa dropped some into them. And there always were goodies in them(despite the fact that they seemed suspiciously like the packets of toffee that Mother Dearest quickly slipped in to the shopping cart the other day). My good ol parents! 

The smell of baking, particularly the spicy-sweet, caramely aroma of apple pie always slap a broad smile on my face. It always cheers me up regardless of the mood I am in, this wonderfully exciting smell reminiscent of happiness, laughter and sparkling celebration. I feel so blessed to have truckloads of such delightful memories to seek refuge in that boost me up even in the most difficult of times. My gratitude overflows for my loving and original parents who make an inanimate structure of bricks, roof tiles and cement a warm and cozy home, who gave me memories to cherish and feelings to live for. I know that not everybody is as lucky to have such parents. I aim to be such a mother to my kid(s) one day, to create for them beautiful childhood memories, feelings to dwell in time and time again like my own mother had done. That apart from my goal of raising them on tasteful Metal music, Grimm's Fairy Tales, Edgar Allan Poe, Lemony Snicket, Tolkien, Charles Baudelaire poetry and Celtic music of course.  

Mother Dearest had always been a bit of a mad scientist in the kitchen. She still is and wouldn't follow a recipe for the life of her. I suppose I inherited the same qualities from her. Only that the genes have taken a more mutilated form in this generation that it manages to mildly shock the previous. Oh well.........

From state news today, things are not looking so good for the MRingdom. Its a little known fact that once the Executive tries to screw with the Legislative, things start getting abysmally fugly for the Executive. The recent impeachment attempt of the CJ seems to be the last stroke. Hopefully the power-blind f***tards will realize this in time because I feel eyes boring holes in their backs already. Well, who the hell cares if they so badly wanna dig their own muddy graves. I just hope that none of us will be dragged along to lie with them in it in the process.    

  

2 comments:

cj said...

I never thought I would describe a post as yummy till I read this. Your concoctions sound fabulous and now has made me hungry.

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Haha! I love doing that to people :D Well, I fear that more food posts are on their way cz I'm not quite out of my cooking spell yet!