Thursday, November 15, 2012

More flu-ish ramblings

Why, oh WHY is it that most institutions make it an utterly unnecessary ridiculous point to turn their air conditions on full blast even in the most spine glaceing weathers? I found myself wondering as I sat there shivering in my imaginary socks as I paid a visit to the doctor (I think his middle name is never-on-time) today to try and find a way to curb this fever monster of mine. Is it a statement that they are trying to make(oooh, look at us vaporizing precious funds down our AC vents cz we've got SO much of it, woot, woot!) or is it just that they are particularly fond of the Ceylon Electricity Board to offer them the extra funding to nourish the noble and bloated (nobly bloated?) political figures feeding off its very nipples? While I could feel tiny icicles forming on my nose, my senses otherwise numbed from the feverish chill were thus slapped awake from the cold blasting off from the AC chutes as I choo-chooed away on my very own train of thought.

Well, me being practically, technically and literally bed, couch and chair ridden (where my bum lands is where I am supposed to spend the next couple of hours or so) I have a lot of time on my hands to think. Besides, those were the good doctor's orders. "You are not to walk! If you want to move, find some other way of doing it," he said (Oh excusez-moi doctor while I ring for my very own personal gold-plated eunuch to carry me from near Le royal TV to Le Messy Royal Desk and from Le Messy Royal Desk to Le Smelly Royal Toilette) Hence, do forgive my rambling on from one disjointed thought to the next.

I have noticed of late that a "pie" in the Sri Lankan context is basically a pastry that is round in shape. For example, you are guaranteed to find the same filling that is in the chicken pastry in the chicken pie as well. Therefore, there really is no need to be purchasing a chicken pie and a chicken pastry both (unless you are a sucker for shapes that is) which makes it all the more economical for the knowing customer. For the unknowing customer, well tough luck.

Why is it that kids on TV never complain to their dads that they are hungry? Why is it that it is the mom (with le knowing smile and le superior I'l-feed-u-goooooood look on her face) who has to always be ready with snacks, two minute(I always thought they forgot the zero next to two) noodles and whatnot to satisfy those forever rumbling tummies? Bash me with 'the mother has always borne the role of the primary caregiver' and all the blah, blah theories, but it IS the 21st century people! In this roly-poly economy of ours (aaaaaand with a budget like ours), both parents are required to work and none has time for listening closely to hear the first rumble of a bottomless pre-teen tummy (which groans all the bloody time). Plus most women have thriving careers today and plenty of men are stay-at-home dads who perform their duties as well as any mother would do. I for one have bugged both Mother Dearest and Daddy Dearest when I'm hungry (yesh, yesh I've been a pain in the ass to both *guffaw snort*)

Also on Sri Lankan TV, the perfect family has two kids, a boy and a girl. Two boys or two girls in a family would be absolute atrocity, blasphemous even. The mommy is always smiley and the daddy is always protective. Mommy is always stick thin (despite bearing two pudgy kids) very fair (despite endless hours of chasing one or the other in the sun) and her hair is always neatly brushed, straightened or tamely brushed back into a ponytail (in between laundry, dishes, putting an entire feast on the table on daily basis and etc). Daddy always wears a crisp linen shirt and neat trousers or he is a hard working man with a tie and a shirt and a briefcase to whom the naughty children run after he comes home from a long day of work. Oh and the kids are utter nuisances, complete ruffians. They jump on beds, they fight over everything, they climb trees, break pots and etc. And the Mother-in-law is always Kandyan Osari clad, hair in a bun, gentle but stern sort of character (why can't she wear a loose frock like most old ladies do in this time and age). The Father-in-law is never very significant (poor thing). If he IS portrayed (and it is never implied whether he is an in-law or not), he is often out of the way, reading a newspaper or a Bana book in the veranda.  

Oh and the house is almost always a walauwwa (spellings?) type. The servant men and women or common village folk always wear sarongs, cloths and blouses. The girls wear chintz frocks with hair in two braids.

Yes yes I know the whole "appealing to the nostalgia" trick up their sleeves, but lets face it, how many of us  have even SEEN a real live walauwwa? How many of us know the difference between the breeze in the Mount Lavinia beach and the breeze that sweeps across the muddy, luscious green of paddy fields? I absolutely adore old houses but never in my life have I seen one in full function. I love the calm and whispering breeze of the paddy field but can't really tolerate the mud and the cow dung sticking to the soles of the feet or the various vicious insects that leave me itching for days after the sting. While I think its beautiful this recreating or, conjuring up a whole new reality in the eyes of the new generation, how real is it is the question. On the other hand, does it have to be real is the next question. Oh well.......... ...  

And WHY or why are the artsy types always portrayed as long-haired, bearded dudes? Why can't clean shaved guys with decently cropped hair be artistic? Its not like a painter would use his hair to paint when he runs out of pain brushes. Neither does a musician use his hair or the beard as strings for his instruments. Well it does serve the purpose for metal artists because headbanging with short hair just ain't the same (Oh by the way, I am mishing a good gig. Its been too long *sob*)

Not that I have anything against long haired, bearded dudes. In fact, I am a huge fan of long hair and overgrown beards (on guys mind). Just not liking the exploitation of it on mass media and everywhere else. It seems the current trend for the regular dudes to grow their hair and let the beards run havoc on their faces. And this too for the heck of passing off as artsy and cool. Well, the depraved and desolate artist look is an easy look to pull off I'd dare say. You just have to not shave, not go to your barber for a while and maybe not even bathe to achieve the desired effect.

Long haired writers of course, are very few. I suppose that is because they have realized that hair has no significant role to play in their vocation. If any, it only gets in their eyes and gets in the way of writing.

Rambled on enough me thinks. Craving for pol sambol, karavala and rice. Haven't seen the likes of rice in three whole days! *sob sob* :'(


2 comments:

Jack Point said...

Long hair went out in the 1970's I think, beard in the 1960's.

Good post, get well soon.

lady grouch-a-lot said...

I'm telling you, its on the come back. I stand at the bus stand and see dozens if not tens and twenties of em passing by. Its getting awfully common :/ Thank u :)