Friday, December 21, 2012

Date with myself

Went on a date with myself. Not that I planned it, it just turned out that way. Nevertheless, I had a good time. Turns out I am very good company.

A quiet breakfast out with a book to keep me company. I sat there watching people passing by. It felt good just sitting there, not participating in the hubbub of life but just being a spectator. A rare chance I must say.

But there is a minus factor to it. A guy sees a girl breakfasting alone and he always seem to want to join in. Maybe we should carry "leave me alone" signs whenever we are out alone to avoid being rude to someone.

And then I ended up (not intentionally, but circumstantially) perfume shopping. This is something that I will never get tired of doing. Fragrances fascinate me. And this is something I like doing alone because I don't like impatient people tutting about me telling me to hurry up. I cherish these moments and I like taking my time deciding before I make a purchase (I do not like being disappointed in them you see). In the process, I discovered a bottle of Hugo Woman, (my signature perfume from a while back which I had no luck in finding afterwards because the perfume itself had been discontinued). I was pleasantly surprised and felt very very lucky indeed.

And then I ended up (not intentionally but circumstantially) sitting down, not doing anything, just watching people passing by. There is a beauty to that feeling you see, of having no aim, having absolutely nothing left to do, just soaking in the ambiance even if it is for a limited amount of time. Christmas was everywhere, the lights, the decorations, Christmas trees shining bright. There were also three people, a father and a daughter and another girl singing Christmas carols strumming a guitar. It was beautiful. I could have sat there and listened to them forever.

And then again I ended up lunching alone (once again, not intentionally, but circumstantially) and had the most beautiful of soups - Cream of wild mushroom. This was at Sugar - Bistro and Bar at Crescat. I would most definitely go there for another. Their apple pie was really bad though. Plus they gave me fresh milk when I asked for fresh cream to go with it. It was an utter disappointment.

And finally my date, The Darling did arrive. We ended up having funky, brightly colored ice creams at the Rio Ice Cream van on the Marine Drive. Wanted to watch The Hobbit in 3D, but turned out they did not have a 4.30 show. So the rest of the evening was spent at home with The Darling, watching TV, light banter and plenty cuddling.

What I did realize was, I really do cherish my alone time. Its quite a novel experience being left alone with yourself and your thoughts. Watching others is only possible when you are out alone. When there's more people, you become part of the spectacle, the drama. But when out with yourself, you are with yourself and you are able to do what you please. You are not obliged to speak nor are you obliged to think of anything else than what you want to think. And you don't have to be considerate, consider other people's wants and needs, you just do what you want to do, then and there. It is a great privilege, a luxury I believe.

Point is, I really did end up enjoying myself, although all of it was rather circumstantial. Conclusion - I should have dates with myself more often. I am a darned good date! :D


2 comments:

cj said...

A song title comes to mind when I read your post. It an extremely old song bby Charlene which says "I've been to paradise but never been to me". It is a great song and a deep one.
More people should have dates with themselves more often than not. I love dates with myself too though I rarely get the chance to do so but did manage one a couple of days ago and it was heavenly.
And am glad to hear you are a great date :)

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Its a lovely song. Never really realized its meaning until recently too.

Btw, happy new year cj!