Monday, December 10, 2012

Wedding post - 3

Have you ever noticed the way women try to eat food without getting their lipstick smudged? It always makes me laugh, the way they open their mouths wide, draw back their lips and stick out their teeth (this reminds me of a cartoon horse that I've seen on TV) chomp off a gigantic bite (probably because this entire course of action takes quite a lot of effort) and munch away.

Either the fact that these perfectly painted women eat or that they would want to eat manages to shock me. I suppose this is because for me in my mind these painted women are china dolls, inanimate, fragile and perfect. And because of this perhaps I expect them to be all prim and proper and not wanting to eat. So when they open their mouths and shove in huge chunks of food into the deep, gaping crevices (which is not such a pretty picture), it shocks me. I suppose I'm too much of an idealist, or whatever you call my kind of people.

Completely off the topic, (well maybe not completely off) it is surprising how many women come into salons in a day to get pedicures. I just happened to be at the salon the other day (yes, to let the chirpy girls paint me up pwetty for the weddingS) to see five different women getting pedicures and two more waiting in the line. Believe it or not, never in my life have I ever gotten a pedicure. I think I can take care of my toe nails myself (maybe why they look simply horrendous sometimes, but that is another story). No wonder women of today are in dire need of yoga classes, exercise sessions, diets and whatnot to fight off obesity. They don't even bother bending over to touch their own toes!

I was told by a friend who is getting married soon that they are given full body scrubs weeks before the actual wedding date. I laughed and asked her if the salon people finally figured out that she wasn't a big fan of bathing. To see with my own eyes the next day when I walked into the salon (the very same day of chirpy girls, pwetty paint and hairspray) the salon girls scrubbing away at a girl with determined expressions on their faces. They all flocked around her, each grabbing an arm or a leg or a piece of torso. We were told that she was soon to be a bride and that it was her whole body scrub day. I was horrified. The girl in the chair was bearing it well. She had pursed lips and a dignified half smile on her face. I admire her courage. Her skin looked raw and red. It must have been very painful.

Ah women and weddings. I can go on for hours...................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

simply stopping by to say hey