Friday, December 7, 2012

Wedding post - 2

If anybody was wondering (I highly doubt it) I'm alive!!! Survived two weddings and I'm still standing! Well, sitting to be precise but I can stand if I wanted to :) It all passed by - the flowers, the excess of sugary sickly sweetness, the clone-like straight haired people in masks of makeup (I managed to pass with a minimal amount of that sticky gooey stuff smeared on my face), the super glittery sarees that are capable of blinding people with the glare (think we could save a fortune on electricity if these sarees are put into good use) It was a mad rush from one wedding to another but hey, I survived!

And these weddings, they are never about the couple are they? Nobody even notices the couple anymore. They are covered with ginormous bouquets/balls/vases/etc of flowers and God knows what else, towering cake structures made out of rigifoam and whatever paraphernalia that has been set up all over the place, the sea of people glistening all over the place, the hundred and one photographers/videographers crawling all over the place and etc. The only remnants that a wedding ever took place is the colossal poruwa standing in a corner quite forgotten. Its mostly about which hotel the wedding took place(the more expensive the better), how much the decorations had cost(the more gaudy the better), how elaborate the wedding cake boxes(again the more gaudy the better), how expensive are the bride's clothes and how expensive was the menu(which is probably the only highlight of a wedding, the food). Basically, a wedding today is a show of status of the parents, a competition of who holds the best wedding (with the most amount of nonsensical stuff that is of no use to anyone). Its like there's a competition out there for the most ridiculous function of the year!

And what's with that cake that nobody can eat? A cake is something that can be eaten, if a cake can't be eaten why is it being called a cake in the first place? I will never understand these things.

I know I am sounding a tad bit too all-knowing right now, (yesh, yesh Lady Grouchalot IS a bit of a know-it-all duhh!) but I'm really just wondering out loud here. Hmm...maybe one day I will understand. Just right now, none of these things make any sense!

2 comments:

Dee said...

u would have loved our cake! :D it was death by chocolate and super duper cute... :D

lady grouch-a-lot said...

Awww..........You got married!! That is so great to hear! Ooh, death by chocolate! I'm craving already. I hope it wasn't one of those rigifoam structures with about four inches of cake involved. Ugh!