Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Wedding post - 4

It's decided. I'm eloping. When I do make up my mind to get married and settled down that is.

No big, frilly, fancy and flowery wedding for me please. No long and torturous hours of smearing sticky gooey stuff on the face, draping yard after yard of shiny sequined material around myself. No bottles of hairspray and hair gel emptied over my head resulting in helmet-like hair that wouldn't crack even if a 1000 pound boulder ended up on my head. And certainly not dragging all this heavy garb around (followed by an entire battalion of photographers, video cameras and etc) visiting a countless number of tables to worship, hug, kiss and exchange awkward words and silences with people you may only see once in every few years!

No pretending to be all prim and proper, calm and collected with a bouquet of dying vegetation in my hands. I know I'm not the type, I know I would never pull it off, this shy, descent bride act. I could never be a protagonist of this well rehearsed satire. Even if I was made to, I would be very, very unhappy doing it.

All these weddings and they've got me thinking. I will not be human if I they did not get me thinking of my own self. Well, someday, one fine day when I am ready for the long haul, I will do it my way.

There is one thing I would want though. I would want platinum wedding bands. I am convinced that love is indeed the best thing in the entire world and therefore, that it deserves the best that there is to represent it, to remind one another of the purity of this emotion every single day of our lives. I would want us to be constantly reminded that we are the best for one another as there ever can be and that each one is precious to the other as nothing else would ever be. I would like to be reminded of that every single moment I look down at my hands. I would want him to be reminded of that.

Of course with all the cost cutting on ridiculous flower arrangements, glitzy cloths, clown makeup, hotels and other absurdities, we would be able to purchase several kilos of platinum to spare and a luxury honeymoon trip around the world.

I would want to throw a party of course for the people who love and care about us the most. A party where there would be a lot of dancing, a great fun party where there would be plenty of food and entertainment, maybe even fire eaters and stilt walkers. I'm thinking an entire circus! (Minus the clowns, the bearded lady and the animals of course). Live music by all our favorite musicians that we could get together. And bonfires, large warm bonfires where we could all sit around and roast marshmallows and cuddle by on a beach. That is what I would call romance, quietly settling down on the beach with the loved one after the frantic partying, and cuddling by a bonfire, gazing at the stars, preferably in comfy cottons and bare feet buried in the cool soothing sand.

And all this would be because we are thrilled to finally be together, thrilled about the brand new life we are about to start by ourselves. All this because the time is right, because we want to stretch out an arm and feel each other's faces and look into each other's eyes in a heartbeat and because waiting for a hug or a kiss for more than 24hrs is unbearable. Because coming home would mean a large, big squishy hug, plenty of smiles and much, much more love than you could ever handle. I would like that, to be smothered by love. What a way to go!

Not because you are getting too old to make children or people are asking you questions. Not because everybody else is getting married and you feel that you have to too. And certainly not because you feel you have to validate your love and commitment by law to make sure that the other person isn't getting away!  

What is not romantic are the blazing lights, the discomfort of cloths that are always a little too tight, worrying about the makeup running, being ordered about by photographers, nakath people, parents and event planners to be on schedule, to leave on time, eat on time, do this, do that - how very boring!

I know its every parent's dream to have their daughter married off at the grandest wedding that they could muster up. I have never been one to break my parents' hearts or let them down in any way. In fact, never have I done a single thing to hurt them in the slightest way in my entire life that I am almost ashamed of being so good. I've always been the perfect little girl who they've always wanted me to be, so this time, I think I deserve a bit of slack. I'm just gonna have to find a way to tackle them as softly as possible when it comes to this particular subject. I think they'l understand even if reluctantly. They've always known me to be an odd one, an unpredictable eccentric if you must. So I'm sure they will bend just a little bit.

Not just now though, I'm happy and comfortable with the way things are just now. Although nosy aunties always poke and inquire (rather aggressively at times) about my wedding plans and even my own parents subtly allude to the topic at times too, I'm determined to wait till I'm absolutely sure that I am ready. I do not mock the institution of marriage in any way, I think its necessary and I know that I will appreciate the warm and plump wholesomeness of conjugal bliss, a home to call my own and arms to curl up in at the end of each tiresome day. Its just the pomp and the fanfare that unnecessarily surrounds it that gets me rolling my eyes. But all in good time my friends, all in good time................



No comments: