Monday, February 28, 2011

Cricket fever :(

I shall forever be the one who is much hated for her callous indifference towards cricket.Sigh.............

Honestly,is it so wrong to not be a part of the cricket frenzy surrounding the much sought-after world cup which is spreading faster than the Australian bush fires drenched in petrol and consumes all of the nation? Is it so wrong that when the whole country is slapping their foreheads in dismay,banging their heads against walls,pulling out their poor,hapless,messed up hair(which is ruffled by constant agitation and scratching of heads) off their scalps at the loss of a wicket,I find it only natural to keep my cool and look(and be) completely unbothered by it all? Is it so very wicked of me that I'm able to serenely read a book and mind my own business,look up and smile in front of the TV set,have a healthy appetite and eat heartily no matter who won or lost the match,have no problem getting up to go for a second helping in the middle of a critical over when the whole house hold is going ape and bananas over an umpire decision? Does it make me a traitor of the motherland to be so breezy and clueless about the whole cricket scenario? I hope not.

Cricket indeed sounds worse than ancient Greek inverted in to sign language and then translated in to Hebrew to me.Not that it's complicated,just that I've never been bothered enough to learn it,observe it closely enough to learn.It's not that I don't hate it either,just that I'm indifferent to it,I mean,I could sit and watch a cricket match if I don't have anything else to do and if it absolutely requires me to do so,no problem about it,but my lack of enthusiasm bothers many people.It's exciting if you can be there live within the premises.There is so much going on,the papare music(which I'm quite fond of) the aberrant clown heads who dance along,the ardent,demented cheering mobs going cuckoo over a lost wicket,a six,a four(I do know my sixes and four's by the way),the alcohol enthusiasts who make it an occasion to "put a drink" and commemorate the occasion and then perform the most tantalizing,the most titillating dance routines,the stray dogs who venture out on to the field and look around bewildered,enjoying all the attention(which I find quite endearing) and the drama that follows in chasing them away,the flags,the crowd,the whistles,the wolf whistles,the attempted whistles,the occasional string of filth which escapes a distraught fan's zealous mouth,it's just so alive.And the ambiance is definitely contagious I should say.I find myself dancing along and cheering as well sometimes(although I'm not often sure of what I'm cheering for I find myself carried along by music)

Some resent my lack of enthusiasm in cricket.By "some" I meant some people who are the closest to me.Sigh........Does that make me an ungrateful non-patriotic? Sigh.........It just makes me sad.

The Darling says that cricket shall be the only sport that we Sri Lankans shall ever be good at and that we should be supportive of it.He feels very strongly about my indifference towards the game and resents my lack of enthusiasm I guess.But what can one do when one doesn't feel enthusiastic about something? I believe in honesty.I absolutely refuse to fake enthusiasm(or anything else for that matter) It just doesn't feel right.

Ran in to Ajantha Mendis and Anjelo Mathews(found the names from Mother Dearest who wanted to stalk them around the exhibition to which I vehemently objected) at the Architecture exhibition at BMICH today and we had to wade through a desperate sea of people who either wanted to take photographs with them,get signatures and do things of that sort.I practically had to drag away a reluctant Mother Dearest who absolutely refused to budge from the place.Oh well........

Sitting here typing away at a computer keyboard,blowing my nose(Yes,I have a very bad cold which is bordering on feverish) sipping away at a very dark,scarily bitter looking Lak peyawa(Mother Dearest talked me in to replacing Samahan,which I'm used to taking and advised Lak Peyawa instead) nibbling on a piece of kithul jaggery(which makes it all better) I'm wondering.Would it make a significant difference in the world if I suddenly sprouted an interest in cricket? Would it be oh-so-awful of me if I did not give a rat's perfect round ass about the game while the whole country is going berserk over a LBW,a missed catch or something of the sort? Sure I'l feel sad if Sri Lanka did not manage to perform well,sure I shall feel glad if the country won the world cup(hypothetically) But it just won't stop my world from revolving around the sun or start rocking my boat all of a sudden however much I try.It's a game,not the end of the world.That's how I feel anyway.

We are all entitled to our own likes and dislikes aren't we?

No comments: